To the Shakori District Scouting Community
Information, procedures & guidance on Advancement from both Occoneechee Council & B.S.A. National are being updated to reflect the current coronavirus situation on a regular basis. The links below are current as of the morning of 26-March, 2020:
N.B: The Eagle Desk and the Scout Shop are now closed while the no person-to-person contact directive is in effect. AS a result, it is not possible to hand-deliver a completed Eagle packet at the moment. Scouts with a completed Eagle packet would be advised to hold it until the situation changes.
If you have additional questions on advancement you may contact either:
As of today, March 20th, 2020 all in-person Scouting activities in Occoneechee Council are cancelled through April 30th. In the event that you did not receive the communication directly through email, the complete announcement may be accessed on the council website at this link:
Steve Blanchard, Shakori District Advancement
Shakori district leadership has changed roles for Eagle Committee Chair and Advancement Chair effective February 1, 2020.
- Steve Blanchard, previously Eagle Committee Chair, will take the role of Advancement Chair for Shakori district.
- Bill Stonecypher will now take on the role of Eagle Committee Chair.
Steve and Bill are working closely together to ensure that Eagle scouts in progress are smoothly transitioned.
Scouts submitting Eagle Project Proposals for District approval can now contact Bill Stonecypher. The following contact information can be used in the Eagle Workbook for Council or District Project Approval Representative:
- Name: Bill Stonecypher
- Address: 108 Beechridge Ct, Chapel Hill, NC 27517
- Email Address: ShakoriEagleChair@gmail.com
- Preferred telephone(s): (919) 475-7112
Yours in Scouting,
Shakori District Eagle Committee Chair
Shakori District has two new Scouts BSA Troops for girls: Troop 39 and Troop 835!
Troop 39 for girls is chartered at University United Methodist Church and meets Wednesday nights at 7:30 pm. For more information, please contact Glyn Tomkins, Scoutmaster.
Troop 835 for girls is chartered at Amity United Methodist Church and meets Wednesday nights at 7:30 pm. For more information, please contact Ruth Heaton, Scoutmaster.
Occoneechee Council has organized its ten Districts into four Areas. Shakori is part of Area 2 along with Awahili and Mawat Districts. Neither the Districts nor the Order of the Arrow Chapters have changed. The professional staff has also been reorganized. The goal is to bring more Scouting to more Youth. We have four scouting professionals serving Area 2:
- Gwangi Shipp is our Development Director. He is responsible for Community, District, and Council fundraising activities for our Area.
- Matt Groseclose is our Family Scouting Director. He is responsible for serving our existing units in Awahili and part of Mawat Districts
- Louise Lochner is our Family Scouting Executive. She is responsible for serving our existing units in Shakori District and part of Mawat District.
- Jerry Wells is our New Unit Development Director. He is responsible for developing and sustaining new units in our Area.
Their contact information is in the Scouters Directory. Please join us in welcoming these Scouting professional when you see them!